I am participating in the Mickey Monday linkup again this week! Please visit http://www.rungeekrundisney.com/2014/11/a-new-castle-lighting-mickey-monday.html and www.adventuresbykatie.com to read other Disney oriented blog posts!
Disney’s Old Key West Resort was the first Disney Vacation Club resort to open up back in 1991, before I was even born. Those who joined in the first few years bought into Old Key West and have enjoyed it ever since. Here are my top 5 reasons why I love returning to Old Key West each trip.
1. The room size. The rooms are significantly larger than rooms in other resorts and there are a variety of room options to choose from. You can reserve a studio if you have a small number of people going or even a Grand Villa if you have a large group going on vacation. The 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and Grand Villa rooms have full kitchens as well as washers and dryers. The set up of the resort is very open and you never feel like you are staying at a hotel (besides the fact that you get Mickey soap in the room).
2. The Florida feel. Palm trees surround the entire resort and the walkways have crushed shells in them. Little tiny geckos dart under your feet and make you feel like you are really in Florida. Other resorts have different themes which might be great if you are from Florida and want to feel like you are going farther away. It is also very easy to go on a run or bike ride around Old Key West because of the open layout and large property.
3. Conch Flats General Store. My sister and I always make the store our first stop when we get out of the car. It is a smaller store compared to some of the other resort stores but it has a home like feel. The store has the bare necessities you need (pun intended) for your vacation. Conch Flats sells Disney Vacation Club apparel as well.
4. Olivia’s. Olivia’s is a great restaurant that has my favorite drink-milkshakes! Some of my family members are also on the wall here in a photo that they handed in years ago when the restaurant asked for DVC Member photos. I still hold it against my parents that they did not bring a photo down to put on the wall. Olivia’s is usually not super crowded, so it is a good place to go if you are hanging at the resort for a day and want a casual meal.
5. The activities. You can rent a pontoon boat and go on a nice boat ride on the water all the way down to Downtown Disney. You can’t get off at Downtown Disney but it is cool to be able to drive your own boat around for an hour. If pontoon boats are not your thing, you can rent a movie or just relax at the pool. Bike rentals are available and the resort runs kids activities every day.
I do like experiencing other resorts, however Old Key West will always be my “home away from home.”