- Bring your own bags when you go grocery shopping. It is 5 pence for each bag you use. So unless you are buying meat or something that really needs a plastic bag, bring your own reusable bag.
- They do not seem to have applesauce in the grocery stores, which is devastating.
- Items expire sooner. Nothing we buy lasts for more than five days, other than Oreo cookies 🙂 Okay, maybe a few other items but it seems food is bought more often here.
- When crossing the street, the loud beeping means you can cross now. Definitely startling the first time you hear it.
- The regular M and M’s are made using a different kind of chocolate or are just different over here, but still very good.
- The tube is not air conditioned. So this summer in NYC, I was sweating standing on the platform but then cooled off once in the car. Here, I am fine on the platform but sweating once I enter the car as it has been in the 70’s here most days and has barely rained.
- Most of the grocery stores only have one cashier and then 20 self service check out machines. I love self checkout so this is lovely. And if you don’t want to spend time sorting coins, you can just put them in the machine to pay and it tells you how much you still need. If you put in a Euro by accident, it will spit it back out. (Photo is from King’s Cross station)